Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Review: Mind Game

Mind Game
StudioC4
Directed by: Masaaki Yuasa
Written by: Robin Nishi
Release Date: 2004-08-07
Length : 103 minutes


From the start, I want to say that Mind Game is not your typical anime movie. Mind game was the most random/surreal animations I've ever seen, you may ask yourself while watching "what the hell is going on?", but thats the point. I knew from the opening scene (where the main character gets shot through his ass and out of his head and flushed into heaven where he is then greeted by god, a metamorphosing figure who eventually turns into a purple cheetah) that I was in love with this movie. At first glance of this anime, I noticed its extremely unique art style deviating from anything that else that I've seen that kept changing to completely different bizarre art styles. It almost felt like I was being pulled into different dimensions and viewing the action through a different mind. The first 10-20 minutes may seem random but the more your mind adjusts to its craziness, the more its vivid plot becomes apparent; a powerful, impacting story get unveiled. Quite possibly my favorite Japanese animation as of yet. The only other anime I can compare it too is Paprika due to its surreal and random nature.


Rating: A++







No comments:

Post a Comment